My Thoughts On Language Development


Hi everyone!

 I wanted to write you a post and let you know about something I have been inspired to do ( thanks to all the reading I have been doing). I want to start writing blog posts on different topics and give ideas on effective ways to engage in the topic with young children. Sometimes these things will be about children who are Developmentally Delayed ( something I have studied for years) and sometimes it will be about topics that relate to children of all abilities. This time I would like to write about Language Development. I recently read some interesting books and articles on this topic, and learned a lot of interesting things. As I'm sure you know, we are all different kinds of learners. Some of us are Visual, Some of us are Hands on and some of us are Auditory. I happen to be a visual and hands on learner myself. If I try to learn about something through reading it in a book, forget I won't remember in 20 minutes from now. It is said that children at a young age need exposure to ALL forms of communication in order to process the information that is being presented to them. By using several forms of communication the children can start to recognize information from one form and connect it to another. This means that a child needs to see the letter B written on a card, they Need to hear the B sound and need to be shown the picture of a word such as ball to pull the visual and auditory connection of B to mean the same thing. Repeat exposure to information in different forms helps the child understand what is to be done or learned in many forms. This is very helpful when trying to teach a child to complete a task that has many steps independently. Telling the child what to go and get and then having them find the picture of the object in the area where the object is to be put or taken from  creates the Visual/Auditory connection of objects and their label. I would like to give you some tools to reinforce Language Development either in your home or classrooms.

 1) Create Picture Labels in areas that are child friendly. Use them to guide children step by step through the completion of a task on their own.

2) Use curiosity boxes. These are great for developing language while engaging with your child. Put an object in a covered box. Ask the child to feel the object without looking and tell you what they feel. Give them the chance to guess what it might be, and offer clues to move them closer. once they guess what it is, give them the object to keep and play with.


I hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to writing others in the weeks to come.


Your Creativity Producer and Professional Mess Maker,

Theresa @ The Creative Campus



http://thecreativecampuscom.weebly.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 48 2017 Art and Self Expression

A New Year, A New Concept Theme! "Loose Parts Play"

Week 51 2017 Positive Disipline and Re Direction