Learning Language My Way! Turning Pictures into Speech





Picture Lables with Words
Labeling objects that children use or see every day with the word of what they are along with a picture creates a visual and language connection. For children who communicate through pictures this is a very useful tool that helps them develop and learn.
one of my favorite ways to do this using play, is by playing something I created called "The Color Game". This is a game that uses mats with pictures of everyday object on it and a set of matching cards (laminated pictures works too) . I divide the cards up among players and everyone takes turns matching the pictures they flip over to the pictures on the board. I have extended this game by adding the letter that each object starts with. This can be used for letter recognition, spelling or even learning to read for older children. This truly is a game we all enjoy playing.

Curiosity Boxes with Clues

this is another fun and engaging way to develop speech. I like to collect objects that are connected to a topic we maybe talking about and put them in a box or container. Then I create clues each one more revealing then the last ( no more then 4 per object). As I read one clue everyone gets a chance to feel and guess what it is. I like to ask questions as each person takes a turn. this uses thinking skills and engages speech as well.

Picture Stories

This is a wonderful activity that can be used anywhere. Picture stories can be used in endless ways as well. All you need are pictures and someone to share with. I often display chosen pictures and start to ask questions about the pictures. As the children answer the questions I document their responses (these are fun to revisit). you can provide these as a quiet activity for nap or quite time. I even like to provide them in the car for children to entertain themselves with.

I hope you enjoy these activities and add your own creative spin to them. Don't forget! when you join my blog or Fb Groups and give me your contact information I will send you a Free Activity ( Busy Box Puzzles) as a Thank You.

Till Next Time,

Ms. Theresa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 51 2017 Positive Disipline and Re Direction

A New Year, A New Concept Theme! "Loose Parts Play"

Week 52 2017 Learning without Books, Tech or Sitting and Listening