Open Ended Play with Animals and Loose Parts

Bears, and Snakes and Birds Oh My! 

Animals is a fun theme that everyone gets into. I have to admit that brown bear is one of my favorite books. I have created a lot of fun activities around that book. I like to put out sand/dirt, hay and grass for the kids to play with. 
then I give them a play barn with animals. this is a great way to combine sensory play and make believe play into one. I also love to play a game called "move like a".... and I call out different animals. its a great way to get the kids moving. I love to do art with this theme too. Some of my favorite things to do are: Making Snakes. You can do this several ways, Cut a small plate into a swirl and let the kids decorate it. OR you can cut strips of paper and trim the edges into the shape of a snake. (this is my favorite way). I give the kids paint dabbers and art pieces and let Their creativity run wild.
Of course no animals theme is complete without " What is It"? I have a container with small objects in it.... and I read out loud a clue that describes one of the objects. then I give the child a chance to dig in the container and see if they can find something that fits the clue. If they guess correct, they get to keep the object. This goes until everyone has a few items . then we talk about the  things they have and I ask the children to tell me a story using all the different items. (write them down for a fun keepsake).

I hope you enjoyed these activities and if there something you might be struggling with? or feeling frustration around while you're creating and engaging at home?  leave me a message and I would love to help in anyway I can. If you enjoyed this blog, and want more activities like this! Join my FREE "5 Activities Program" you will get 5 activities on a different topic for 6 weeks! http://thecreativecampus.weebly.com/5-activities-program-and-tip-of-the-month.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 51 2017 Positive Disipline and Re Direction

A New Year, A New Concept Theme! "Loose Parts Play"

Week 52 2017 Learning without Books, Tech or Sitting and Listening