Open Ended Play with "Loose Parts" Bugs and Gardens

Gardens is a theme that you can use several times.  you can use it to talk about food or you can use it to talk about flowers and plants. To be honest, I'm not sure which is more fun. I like to offer dirt in the sensory area, I leave out material flowers, gloves and garden tools (kids size). I let the kids decide what kind of garden they are gonna create and what they want to put in it. I also like to use this theme as a science experience. I let the kids plant real plants and then over time I encourage them to take care of them as they grow. when they are ready the get planted in the ground. you can further the activity by cooking with their produce.  These are just a Few of my favorite ways to work with this theme.Bugs and plants as a theme is one of the few that i get a little carried away with. You can use it for so many things in so many ways. the fun is endless from scavenger hunts to Gross motor and everything in between.
Some of my favorite ways to use this theme are:

1) Plastic/Sponge bugs in grass, water or sand/dirt (Search and sort by color or type)
2) Plant Parts In the Art area ( let kids create their own plant)
3) Plant and Care for Gardens in Jars or shallow boxes.

Questions To ask For Extending Learning and Engagement:
1) How are Bugs The Same/Different
2) What Is Your Favorite Plant? What Kind Of Plant is it? (Food Plant, Flower, est.)
3) What Are The Different Parts Of A (Name Favorite Bug) I hope you enjoyed these activities, and
If there something you might be struggling with? or feeling frustration around while you're creating and engaging at home?  
leave me a message and I would love to help in anyway I can. Fragileangel@wowway.com or leave me a comment below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Year, A New Concept Theme! "Loose Parts Play"

Week 51 2017 Positive Disipline and Re Direction

Week 52 2017 Learning without Books, Tech or Sitting and Listening